Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The bed was transformed into the delivery style with my wife's legs spread just like you see in the movies. The doctor stepped out it was just me, my wife, and the nurse Marcy. With each contraction, the nurse told my wife she was going to push 3 times. After the first contraction, I could already see a black tuft of hair sticking out. I asked the nurse, "Is that...?" and she replied "Yes!". I couldn't believe it. Even more incredible, my wife so efficiently that after about 5 or 6 contractions, my baby's head was already a quarter of the way out and the nurse had to ask her to slow down until the doctor arrived!
In the middle of all us, the nurse told us that the Ali's mom wanted to come in which wasn't planned but Ali said sure.
The doctor arrived a few moments later, and when she saw how far my wife had progressed, her eyes almost popped out of her head. The Neonatal team was still not there so we still had to wait an other minute or so. Soon they arrived along with Ali's mom, and miraculously my wife pushed the baby out on the next contraction! I couldn't believe my eyes. The doctor held up the baby and I saw his little penis for the first time. I turned to my wife and we said in unison, "It's a boy!". I gave her a big kiss and my mother-in-law a big hug as the baby was swaddled for her to hold. I dashed for the camera to get a quick snapshot and then ran over to the warmer as he was brought over to get another one. Soon, they took our little package away to clean him up and do whatever else they do. I went outside to deliver the big news to our family waiting outside. Again, it felt like a movie. I went out to the waiting room and everyone turned to me expectantly and I proudly said "it's a boy!" again.
When I returned to the delivery room, it was not a pretty site. She had torn pretty badly and all I could see was blood dripping down from between her legs. I'm pretty surprised I did not faint to tell you the truth. But I just ran over to her side to make sure she was OK and I think luckily the epidural was still working. The doctors worked quickly to "make her 18 again" (her words, not mine!) and pretty soon she was all wrapped up and good to move down to the post partem ward. We thanked the good doctor and she left probably on to her next delivery.